Organizing & evaluating discussion

Today is our final planning day for panels. I will walk you through a way to post your plan to our course site, the Google Forms our class will use to evaluate each other, and lead you through a model discussion on the sharing economy.

Posting your plan

At least 2 days before (preferably more), you’ll post your readings and Twitter questions to twitter using the course hashtag (#WRTs18) and the hashtags for your phenomenon (i.e. #catphishing). However, it is also useful for us if you post your entire plan to our course site. This post will include your panel members, hashtags, twitter questions, readings, and counter-technologies. You can save the in-class discussion questions as a surprise. Whenever possible, link to the content you are referring to (i.e. readings, hashtags, etc.).

Here’s an example of how you should set this up:

Section 4 // 11:00 a.m. // #doxing

Panel members: Rachel, Joe, Laura, Lex

Hashtag: #doxing or #doxxing

Twitter questions:

Q1: Do you think #doxxing is ever justified?
Q2: What are some cases of #doxxing you’ve heard about in the news?
Q3: Should #doxxing have consequences? If yes, what kind?

Readings:

What Is Doxing?” (HTML.com, 2015)
Women Explain Why They Are Boycotting Twitter” (Gizmodo, October 2017)
Whatever Your Side, Doxing Is a Perilous Form of Justice” (Wired, August 2017)

Counter-technology: Dox Yourself! (Google Doc)

 

→  For top-secret directions on how to post to the course site, including the username and password you’ll be using, look at this Google Doc here. ←

Evaluating panels

As you might recall,  20% of your grade in this unit is based on your Twitter participation, but the other 80% is assessed, at least in part, by your peers. Here’s how. Both forms can be found in the Unit 2 menu, above. ↑

  • 50% panel performance. This grade is determined via ratings from the Panel Evaluation Form. I use the average overall score from the class to determine this grade.
  • 30%  individual contributions. This grade is determined, in part, by an internal evaluation form, that you and your groupmates will complete after your discussion. You also have a chance to elaborate on your experience in your final individual reflection.

Sample discussion: the sharing economy

Section 4 // 11:00 a.m. // #sharingeconomy

Panel members: Jason, Annamai, Jonny, Christian

Hashtag: #sharingeconomy

Twitter questions:

Q1: Uber, Lyft, and AirBnB, are the most common examples of companies in the #sharingeconomy. What are some others, whether you’ve used them or not? #WRTfs18
Q2: Have you used a service offered in the #sharingeconomy? What has been your experience with them as a consumer? #WRTs18
Q3: Drivers, hosts, babysitters, helpers, shoppers — these are the jobs workers do in the #sharingeconomy. Have any of you worked these jobs (or know people who do)? #WRTs18

Readings:

In the Sharing Economy, Workers Find Both Freedom and Uncertainty”  (New York Times, Aug. 2014).
Uber And Lyft Driver Income Study Was Flawed But Gigs Are Still A Problem” (Forbes, March 2018)

Counter-technologies:

Earnings calculators: AirbnbUber

Behind the scenes


Homework for Monday, 3/19

Read assigned texts for Group 1 and post comments on Twitter tonight and tomorrow night.