Section 3 // 9:30 a.m. // #AssistantTech
Panel members: Jessa, Katy, Darien
Q1: Do you have one of these devices? What made you purchase it?
Q2: If not then why don’t you have one?
Q3: Would you ever consider purchasing one for your home in the future? why/why not?
Q4: Have you considered any devices listening to you when you didn’t ask for it to? Do you have any stories of strange responses?
- “What is the Web of Things?” (webofthings.org, April 2017)
- “Amazon Echo vs Apple HomePod vs Google Home: the battle of the smart speakers” (TechRadar, October 2017)
Section 4 // 12:30 p.m. // ##Likes #Reactions #SocialMedia #MentalHealth
Panel members: Nah’ja, Olivia, Justina, Taylor.
Hashtags: #Likes #Reactions #SocialMedia #MentalHealth
Q1: Does the amount of likes you receive on a post seem to reflect your mood?
Q2: How do you feel social media is taking over our lives?
Q3: Do you feel as though the negatives of social media outweigh the positives?
- “Social Media ‘Likes’ Impact Teens’ Brains and Behavior” (Association for Psychological Science, May 2016)
- “10 Ways Social Media Affects Our Mental Health” (degreed.com, n.d.)
- “Facebook is changing the way it ranks posts based on your reactions and likes” (Digital Trends, Feb 2017)
Counter-technology: Space Phone Usage app (see Olivia’s blog)