Panel Members: Elizabeth, Nicole, Gianna, Angel
- Do you think that certain sites have more personalized algorithms than others? If so, what sites?
- Do you think that because of certain algorithms with ads it causes you to look up things or purchase things that you’ve never seen/tried before?
- Have you ever come across something on any sites that allows you to have any sort of input into the ads you see?
- Do you think that algorithms on certain sites are due to people wanting to make money?
- Have you ever looked into why certain things are on your feed? If so, did you come across any useful information?
“11 Essential Algorithms That Make The Internet Work” (Business Insider, 2011)
“Youtube’s clickbait problem has reaches new height” (Polygon, 2018)
The instructions for our counter-technology is here.
Panel members: Brielle, Julia, Kaitlyn
Online Discussion Questions:
Q1: Have you seen algorithmic bias in your life? What did you think when you dealt with it?
Q2: What would you say your algorithm filter is on social media?
Q3: Where do you most see algorithmic bias take place? Can you think of any specific examples to share?
In class Discussion Questions:
Q1: Was algorithmic bias as prevalent as you thought? Why or why not? Do you think something needs to be done to fix this problem?
Q2: What are your thoughts about a white mask being recognized instead of a bare face?
Q3: In which ways do you think algorithmic bias can be damaging or dangerous?
“The Real Reason Tech Struggles With Algorithmic Bias” (Wired, February 2019)
“Ghosts in the Machine” (NOVA, October 2017)
Counter Technology:“The Coded Gaze” (Algorithmic Justice League)
One student/one question
Open your “one student/one question” Google Doc and let’s do something different.
Continue reading “Technology & Post-truth: Algorithms”
- Look over Boyd’s “Your Data is Being Manipulated” with hypothes.is on. That is, read the annotations and conversations.
- Copy and paste into your own document one comment that resonated with you that is not your own.
- Under this comment, explain why this resonated with you.
- Finally, write a short ¶ response that brings together Boyd’s writing, the comment, and your response. Try to also end with a question. It might look like this: